Sunday, January 17, 2010

Cooking In Season

Hello my beloved cooking associates! It has been so long since we last shared our kitchen delights with each other! I am excited to be back in the kitchen and I want to share with you some of my most recent thoughts on the culinary arts. 

My project starting this week will be to start cooking with produce that is in season. Now I am not going to be so strict as to say I can't eat citrus because California is too far for it to travel, but I am going to try to stay as close to home base as possible. I have several motivations for embarking on this cooking adventure, but I don't want to get too far off topic (right now at least) so instead I'll just recommend reading The Art of Simple Food, Food Rules, and Animal-Vegetable Miracle and watching the film Food Inc. 

I am finding all of my recipes for the week tonight and so the first step of this process is actually finding out what is in season this time of year (how pathetic that I didn't just know all of them!). Here is the list in case any one else is interested and especially if anyone would like to post any recipes that use these fruits and veggies: 
  • Citrus (oranges, tangerines, lemons, limes, grapefruit, clementines, etc.)
  • Potatoes
  • Sweet Potatoes & Yams
  • Jimica
  • Parsnips
  • Squash
  • Persimmons
  • Brussels Sprouts
  • Pomegranate
  • Lettuce
  • Cabbage
  • Carrots
  • Onion
  • Celery
  • Beets
  • Fennel
  • Mushroom
  • Leek
  • Collards
  • Radishes
  • Rutabaga
  • Spinach

No comments:

Post a Comment