Monday, January 18, 2010

Leek and Potato Soup

It was quite a thrilling morning at the grocery store. I just zoomed around the produce department for about 30 minutes, wildly throwing plastic bags around while meekly attempting to identify dozens of different vegetables and herbs. I felt quite proud checking out with so much fresh bounty in my cart. I thought, "This cashier must think I am a gourmet cook." A guilty and pretty ridiculous indulgence, I know. It cost so much less than I thought it would, by the way, and I am pretty sure that Jared would also agree. 

Tonight I took a recipe out of The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters. I have never even touched a leek before so this recipe made me feel especially adventurous. It is just basically a potato-onion soup, but it has a little bit of extra sweetness that I like and the herbs add a lot of flavor. The consistency is a mix between a brothy soup and a creamy soup, which makes it hearty without being too heavy. 


Leek and Potato Soup

MAKES 2 QUARTS; 4 TO 6 SERVINGS

Trim off the root end and tough upper greens from: 
2 pounds leeks 
Cut the trimmed leeks in half lengthwise and slice thin. Rinse in a bowl of cold water. Life the leeks out of the water to drain. 
Melt over medium heat in a heavy-bottomed pot:
3 tablespoons butter
Add the leeks along with: 
2 thyme sprigs (I just used dried herbs)
1 bay leaf 
Salt
Cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Add:
1 pound yellow potatoes, peeled, halved or quartered, and sliced 
Cook the potatoes for 4 minutes and then add: 
6 cups water
Bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer. Cook until the vegetables are tender, but not falling apart, about 30 minutes. When done, stir in:
1/3 cup creme fraiche or heavy cream
Do not boil once the cream is added. Check the seasoning and adjust to taste. Remove the bay leaf and thyme before serving (unless you used dried herbs like me). 

1 comment:

  1. oh yum! Lee made this one time for us and it was DELICIOUS! I want to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete