Sunday, March 27, 2011

Harvest Butternut Squash Soup

This recipe is such a great base for honestly every squash, vegetable, or raccoon (Ellen) soup you can think of. Delicious! I have used it with pumpkin, acorn and butternut squash, and beets and it always taste great, or so I've been told. It even took third place in a chili cook off because it was so tasty. I definitely taste it as I go and I've been known to add A LOT more spices than what it originally calls for depending on my mood. Also I add fresh garlic to everything. That should just be a given. The recipe calls for pure maple syrup and although that sounds amazing I've used everything else other than that, i.e. honey, agave, brown sugar, and whatever else I have lying around. When I use a pumpkin I like to toast the seeds and garnish the soup with them as well. Here goes...

1 Butternut Squash, peeled, medium diced
1/4 C. Olive Oil
Pinch of salt & pepper
1 medium yellow onion diced
1 T. Butter
3 C. Chicken Stock
1/2 C. Heavy Whipping Cream
Pinch Nutmeg
Pinch Cloves
1 T. Curry
1/4 C. Pure Maple Syrup

In a French bowl toss butternut squash with olive oil and salt and pepper. Place squash on sheet tray and roast in the oven at 350 degrees for 10-15 min or until browned. While squash is roasting, place onion in a sauce pot with butter and sweat until translucent. Add chicken stock to sauce pot and roasted squash. Boil until squash is tender. Place in a blender and puree until smooth. Return to sauce pot, season and finish with cream. Top with roasted pepitas. Serve. (This is so easy if you have an electric hand blender. I just pour the squash in the pan and blend it right there. I have blended the squash in a blender but it is messier and takes longer. )

No comments:

Post a Comment