Thursday, October 29, 2009

Guest Chef - My Big Brother.



I just received one of the best emails ever. My big brother, actually really big brother (he is 6'7"), emailed me, sheepishly requesting to be a part of our fantastic blog. He sent the following awesome recipe and four great photos (of which I will only be posting one for the sake of space). So this is a really simple recipe (besides milking the cow part) for making your own butter. What a man, right? Making his own butter. I am impressed. I have been wanting to do this for a while now, but have been too intimidated by the process. So, ladies and any other men we have secretly reading this blog, I hope you enjoy this recipe from a gourmet construction worker. Feel free to comment in an effort to make our newcomer feel welcome.

Welcome Edward!

Homemade Butter

I have been following this blog for months now. Both secretly and publicly and I came up with a recipe finally that I don't usually mess up. So here it is.

There are a couple ways to make your own butter it is so easy a construction worker can do it. First if you have raw milk then you skim the cream off the top. If you don't have raw then you can buy 1-2 cups
heavy whipping cream, or double cream (1/3 liter) (preferably without carrageenan or other stabilizers). I have seen this at the store, so it is available.

Next you put it into a blender and walk away or watch it spin if you like that too. it will go for about ten min and you will hear the change when the cream turns to butter. Turn off the blender and let the buttermilk separate from the butter. The butter will be a faint yellow color.

Slowly drain the buttermilk into another jar or Tupperware(you can save this for making buttermilk pancakes or bread, recipes online)

add one cup of ice cold water and blend again for 3-5 min. Drain-but don't save. Do this repeatedly until drained water is almost clear.
Then take a clean dry cloth towel place it over a mixing bowl. pour the contents of the blender into the the towel, lift up on the towel, the last of the moisture will drain through the towel into the bowl.

finally bring the towel around the almost solid butter and slowly squeeze the remaining moisture out your butter. take the butter out of the towel, add about a 1/2 a teaspoon of salt roll up your sleeves and knead that salt deep throughout the butter.

Now that you have this beautiful ball of butter you can form it into sticks and then put it in the fridge or put it on some fresh baked bread.
should make about one cup of butter and one cup of buttermilk! Home made with no waste!


2 cups cream
1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)


Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. I hated this post because I had to come to terms with the fact that when I dump half a stick of butter on a bagel or in my mashed potatoes, I am indeed just dumping cream into my meal. Delicious, but I don't know how long my heart will take it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just made butter with the kids. who knew it could be so easy. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete